ASHRAE's first standard on commissioning will help ensure a fully functional facility by streamlining all processes related to projects and systems.
"Given the integration and interdependence of facility systems, a performance deficiency in one system can result in less than optimal performance by other systems," says Gerald Kettler, chair of the committee that wrote ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 202, Commissioning Process for Buildings and Systems.
"Implementing the commissioning process is intended to reduce the project capital cost through the warranty period and also reduce the lifecycle cost of the facility. Using this integrated process results in a fine-tuned facility, with complete documentation of its systems and assemblies and trained operations and maintenance personnel," Kettler adds.
The process includes specific tasks to verify that design, construction, verification, testing, documentation, and training meet the owner's project requirements. It begins at project inception and continues for the life of the facility.
The process includes specific tasks to verify that all parties are accountable for their quality of work.
The standard defines commissioning through the following 13 steps:
- Initiate the commissioning process, including defining roles and responsibilities.
- Define and document the owner's project requirements.
- Develop a written commissioning plan and process.
- Plan the design approach to meet the owner's requirements.
- Set the contractor commissioning requirement, included in specifications.
- The commissioning authority reviews designs and provides feedback.
- A submittal review report verifies
compliance with requirements.
- Verify system performance through observation and testing, with results documented in construction checklists and reports.
- Coordinate issues and resolutions
in a log.
- Assemble a systems manual for
- Provide conduct training for building operations with plans and records.
- Post-occupancy operation commissioning provides an end of warranty report.
- Assembly of a commissioning report captures all the project commissioning documentation.