In response to the many requests for a statement on the benefits of installed window film products, the Martinsville, VA-based Intl. Window Film Association has compiled the following information. This list may not include all potential applications and, depending on the product recommendations, many products will not provide all of the benefits listed. It is the responsibility of the installing dealer, as well as the informed consumer, to determine which window film product will best suit the building's needs. Working with an accredited Intl. Window Film Association (IWFA) solar control specialist offers assurance that a dealer has successfully completed testing on important areas of technical and installation expertise.
All window films typically offer the following:
- Up to 99-percent ultraviolet (UV) light reduction resulting in significant fade protection for furniture, carpet, draperies, wood, etc.; reduced fabric/textile deterioration; and reduced exposure to UV radiation, which has been linked to certain cancers.
- Increased shatter resistance, resulting in increased peace of mind and increased safety for family and friends.
- Heavy-gauge security films offer protection from natural disasters such as violent storms, earthquake, high winds, etc.; vandalism, terrorist bombings, smash and grab, etc.; and scratching/graffiti (glass tagging) on exterior windows, restroom mirrors, elevator doors and glass, and similar flat/smooth surfaces.
- Scratch-resistant hard coating protects against accidental abrasion and product deterioration from normal cleaning, hazy appearance typical with plastic type materials, and performs well in all climates.
Metallized/solar control window film can provide:
- Significantly reduced solar heat gain resulting in increased comfort, reduced air-conditioning costs, reduced HVAC equipment wear and tear/maintenance, and increased fade resistance.
- Glare reduction.
- Daytime privacy.
- Attractive accent to windows.
- Lower energy demands from utilities, resulting in lower overall energy costs, decreased demand for new power-generating facilities, and decreased environmental emissions.
With accredited solar control specialist installations, you can expect:
- Knowledgeable sales consultants.
- High-quality materials and installation.
- Manufacturer warranties covering product failure.
- Glass thermal shock fracture and IG unit seal failure coverage.
- Confidence you are dealing with an industry professional.
Information for this column was provided by Martinsville, VA-based Intl. Window Film Association (www.iwfa.com).