DALTON, GA - Tandus, a leading manufacturer of commercial floor coverings, has introduced Green Samples by Tandus, a revolutionary virtual sample folder that will minimize the need for physical carpet samples while still providing a complete sample experience. After two years of research with input from thousands of designers and end use customers, Tandus has not only extended the life of the sampling medium, but also has improved the effectiveness and efficiency of traditional sampling methods.
The patented sampling book contains tear-off pads for each colorway and each sample folder pad has 25 color-accurate digital images replicating physical carpet samples. The specifier uses the folder in the same way that a designer would use a sample book in the firm's resource library, but is now encouraged to tear the color swatch out of the folder—up to 25 uses per color—rather than having to replace a missing swatch after one use.
"Currently, once a swatch of carpet is removed from a book, the book is incomplete until that carpet is replaced," says Lee Schilling, senior vice president, Tandus. "As we create a new vision to reduce our environmental footprint and eventually Leave No Trace™, Tandus has also enhanced the shelf-life of sampling folders with easily replaced digitally modeled images."
Because of the significant financial impact as well as environmental benefits, each sample sheet contains a virtual image on one side and specifications and positive environmental impacts on the other. Such environmental benefits include:
- The simulated carpet is color accurate and printed on 100 percent post-consumer recycled paper, and is 100 percent recyclable.
- Using paper samples reduces the amount of petroleum-based resources used to manufacture nylon, primary and secondary backings.
- Virtual image samples use 95 percent less energy to manufacture than carpet.
- The tear-off pads of images are 100 percent recyclable.
- Due to the carpet samples being paper, they are a renewable resource.
Transitioning the carpet industry to this sampling system over time would have an enormous impact on the environment. In addition, just by Tandus transitioning to this sampling system, overtime, the environmental impact equates to:
- 100,000 square yards of carpet that is not manufactured every year
- 175,000 pounds of nylon that does need to be made
- 100,000 yards of primary backing not needed
- 500,000 pounds of backing material not required
- Approximately 280,000 plastic trays not needed, as they are required in structured back books
Green Samples by Tandus are functional, efficient, environmental, and are tailored to the way designers work. The program capitalizes on the best practices of custom sample replacement by applying them to running line merchandising in an innovative form, a first for the industry.
Tandus creates floor covering solutions that enhance spaces for learning, working, healing, and living through inspired design, leading-edge technology, unprecedented achievement toward sustainability, and an absolute commitment to continued leadership. Drawing upon each brand's individual strengths, Tandus offers its customers single-source innovative product design and technology, comprehensive services, and environmental leadership. For more than 40 years, Tandus has been examining all the ways to be a better corporate citizen and environmental steward-and then taking actions that lead to demonstrable, meaningful, quantifiable results. Based in Dalton, GA, Tandus can be found online at www.tandus.com.