BIFMA will offer a course that will include a review of the content on the third-party level® certification process and its relation to LEED credits. The course is intended to familiarize the A&D community, producers, end users, facility managers, customers, and dealers so that the entire product manufacturing and sales distribution network is conversant with how to specify level certified products to ensure increasingly sustainable buildings.
- Understand the BIFMA sustainability standard and its application to the design of interior environments through the utilization of products from the contract furniture industry.
- Identify and compare furniture products by using level’s certification as a framework for sustainable interior design.
- Measure the degree of sustainability that the furniture manufacturer has implemented through their corporate, facility and product related efforts.
- Specify sustainable furniture based on the level certification program.
- Understand how level works with LEED for credits.
Thomas Reardon is the Executive Director of BIFMA – the Business & Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association. BIFMA’s mission is to promote the growth and image of the business furniture industry by serving as an information resource, industry advocate, and professional and trade development network.
Tom joined BIFMA in 1990 as the Manager of Research & Information with responsibility for the industry market statistics program. Tom was promoted to Executive Director in 1998 and is now responsible for oversight of membership development, marketing, sustainability programs, standards, information and learning, international affairs, and government relations. Among other achievements, Tom was integral in the development and launch of the level® sustainability certification program and ANSI/BIFMA e3 furniture sustainability standard for furniture.
Tom’s furniture industry career spans almost three decades. He began in marketing and product development with Haworth, Inc., one of the largest office furniture manufacturers. Prior to that he held engineering, sales, and administrative positions with United Technologies Automotive Group. Tom holds a bachelors degree in business administration. A native of Michigan, he currently resides in the Grand Rapids, Michigan, area with his wife and two children.
Director of Sustainability
National Office Furniture
She is LEED AP ID+C Accredited Professional and also serves as Vice-Chair on the USGBC Indiana Chapter, Southwest Branch.
In her current role as Director of Sustainability, Mendy is responsible for providing direction and assuring successful execution of National’s vision and strategy for sustainability and environmental programs.