Greenville County (South Carolina) School District’s Energy Management Group searches for ways to save money through energy management. The district’s goal is to embrace “green building techniques and sustainable design” in a manner that makes financial sense. Partnering with Hubbell Lighting, the district’s Fisher Middle School is now a shining example of what tomorrow’s learning environments can deliver. The school, which is three stories and nearly 180,000 square feet, is located on 28 acres. It was designed to accommodate 1,000 students from 6th through 8th grade. Plans were developed with cost-effectiveness, function and sustainability in mind.
To illuminate almost every corner of the building and site, more than 3,000 Hubbell Lighting products were installed. These included Alera Lighting and Columbia Lighting LED fixtures in classrooms and restrooms, Prescolite downlights and Dual-Lite LED exit signs in the media center and hallways, and more than 600 Hubbell Industrial LED highbays in the gym, auditorium and corridors.
On the exterior, Kim Lighting LED products illuminate the school’s U.S. flag while wall sconces from Architectural Area Lighting and post tops from Beacon Products illuminate pathways. Wireless daylight and occupancy sensors from Hubbell Building Automation integrate the entire system, increasing control and energy savings.
The LED products will deliver at least 40-50% in energy savings over traditional/legacy products. Due to reduced replacement costs, maintenance savings will be in the range of 50-60%.
“Many spaces have full windows to the outside and courtyard areas.The lighting features adapt to the outside light sources, brightening and dimming based on ambient light,” said Jane Garraux, principal of the school. “Also, the lighting provides a softer light with multiple dimming features, supporting a calm and productive learning space.”
Installed Products from Hubbell Lighting
• 163 Alera Lighting – Curv Louvered luminaires
• 38 Architectural Area Lighting – Venere Contemporary wall sconces
• 8 Beacon Products – Slide luminaires
• 23 Columbia Lighting – 4PS specification grade static troffers
• 125 Columbia Lighting – CS striplights
• 94 Columbia Lighting LEPC – e•poc® LED full distribution luminaires
• 229 Columbia Lighting – LLT LED lensed troffers
• 79 Columbia Lighting – SA wall mount light
• 247 Columbia Lighting – Serrano® LED architecturally styled luminaires
• 72 Columbia Lighting – WC specification grade wraparounds
• 240 Dual-Lite – LX LED exit signs
• 78 Hubbell Building Automation – wiHUBB® daylight sensors
• 46 Hubbell Building Automation – wiHUBB® general
• 200 Hubbell Building Automation – wiHUBB® occupancy sensors
• 210 Hubbell Building Automation – switches
• 217 Hubbell Building Automation – OMNI™ ceiling sensors
• 182 Hubbell Building Automation – wiHUBB® smart packs
• 606 Hubbell Industrial Lighting – HBL Series LED highbays
• 3 Kim Lighting – LTV10 luminaires
• 247 Prescolite – LF6LED LED downlights
• 21 Prescolite – MD8LED LED downlights
• 2 Spaulding Lighting – Laredo LMC wallpacks