Who's Who in the Buildings Market 2004: General Services Administration, Public Buildings Service

Sept. 1, 2004
The 2004 'A' List
#15General Services Administration, Public Buildings ServiceWashington, D.C.(202) 501-1100
www.gsa.govThe General Services Administration’s (GSA) 11 geographic regions acquire office space, equipment, supplies, telecommunications, and information technology in support of federal agencies throughout the 50 states, U.S. territories, and overseas. As the landlord for the federal government, the GSA Public Buildings Service oversees a total inventory of more than 330 million square feet of space in 8,000 owned and leased buildings across the country. Of the agency’s total inventory, approximately 55 percent of the buildings are government owned; the remaining 45 percent are in privately owned, leased facilities.[Editors’ Note: “Innovative Workplace Strategies,” which provides the tools and solutions to meet the challenges in creating productive workplaces, and “Real Property Performance Results,” which offers both an analysis of real property performance in Federal office space, as well as real-world examples of industry “models” and “standards,” offer visual and application proof that this government agency is embracing strategic planning, performance measurement, and benchmarking with its facilities – just two of the many manuals that focus on process improvement, from operational expenditures to sustainable initiatives. With 13,000 GSA associates supporting more than 1 million federal workers located in 8,000 government-owned and leased buildings in 2,000 U.S. communities and overseas, it’s only natural that the GSA leads in the development of innovations. Among those setting the pace are the organization’s E-Government Initiatives, Workplace 20.20, Proposal Evaluation Tool, and Business Case Decision Tool. Particularly noteworthy is the Adaptable Workplace Lab (AWL), which features multiple high-performance workplace technologies in the 10,000-square-foot AWL space – the result of a unique partnership created with the National Science Foundation.]

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Buildings, create an account today!

Sponsored Recommendations

Building Better Schools

Download this digital resource to better understand the challenges and opportunities in designing and operating educational facilities for safety, sustainability, and performance...

Tips to Keep Facility Management on Track

How do you plan to fill the knowledge gap as seasoned facility managers retire or leave for new opportunities? Learn about the latest strategies including FM tech innovations ...

The Beauty & Benefits of Biophilic Design in the Built Environment

Biophilic design is a hot trend in design, but what is it and how can building professionals incorporate these strategies for the benefits of occupants? This eHandbook offers ...

The Benefits of Migrating from Analog to DMR Two-Way Radios

Are you still using analog two-way radios? Download this white paper and discover the simple and cost-effective migration path to digital DMR radios that deliver improved audio...