BICSI, the global association dedicated to the advancement of the information and communications technology (ICT) profession, this month announced the release of the new 8th edition of its Information Technology Systems Installation Methods Manual (ITSIMM).
According to BICSI, significant changes made to the ITSIMM 8th edition range from structured cabling systems to retrofits and upgrades, with all updated ICT cabling information.
"As the needs of structured cabling systems grow more complex, so too do the responsibilities of cabling installers and technicians," contends a BICSI statement, which adds, "The innovative 8th edition of the ITSIMM is the industry's latest and best standards guide for cabling competence and success in the quickly evolving ICT industry. The manual is packed with new and updated information that will help keep installers and technicians, including those earning BICSI certifications, in peak performance for years to come."
Per BICSI, critical updates to the new edition include:
- Optical fiber and copper cable media types to include current Category/Class designations for copper cable and OM/OS designations for optical fiber cable.
- Information related to premise passive optical networks (PONs) and centralized optical fiber cabling.
- Information concerning project management, including obtaining applicable information and documents prior to beginning an installation project, conducting site surveys, required project documentation, project meetings, and material handling and storage.
- Information concerning retrofits and upgrades, including current ICT technologies and applications.
- Added information on professionalism topics, including ethics, conduct, licensing and certification, appearance, and communication skills.
- Inclusion of first-ever ITSIMM color photographs and graphics to illustrate installation components, procedures, and methodologies applicable to ICT installation activities.
The new manual is also the foundation for BICSI's newly updated Cabling Installation Program. Containing four courses ranging from entry-level to advanced training, as well as three certification exams and a certificate, the program will be available this Spring.
"For dedicated ICT professionals in a rapidly expanding industry, it is crucial to recognize that best practices are not only essential to their success—they also must evolve," concluded BICSI's Chief Executive Officer John H. Daniels, CNM, FACHE, FHIMSS. "Along with our standards, educational offerings, and certification programs, we develop and deliver the highest-quality complementary publications like the ITSIMM 8th edition to validate technician and installer mastery in the ICT landscape and contribute to the continued improvement of individual and organizational performance. We work closely with ICT professionals around the world to ensure that our publications are up-to-date and relevant for today's competitive business environments."
For more information, visit www.bicsi.org/itsimm.