B_0216_News_building2

LEDs, Solar, Green Buildings Drive City Efficiency Gains

Feb. 19, 2016

Survey shows green technologies offer value to municipalities.

Solar power, LED lighting, and efficient building technologies are the most widely used strategies for cities to meet energy efficiency and climate goals, according to a new survey of mayors of U.S. cities.

The survey polled 178 mayors, with 91% of respondents choosing the three selections as “most promising” among emerging efficiency technologies. The survey’s authors noted that of the remaining 9%, nearly all noted at least one if not two of the three top picks, meaning that almost all respondents shared one of the three as a top priority.

The most popular focus area was found to be LED installation, with 41% of respondents noting it as a top priority, followed by solar power (18%) and energy-efficient buildings (17%). The survey also found that funding issues was the most commonly mentioned challenge to implementing energy-efficient projects, with budget and funding limitations noted by 67% of respondents.

Voice your opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Buildings, create an account today!

Sponsored Recommendations

Decarbonization 2024: How Digital Tools Minimize Your Carbon Footprint

Discover the untapped potential of digital electricity infrastructure in revolutionizing building electrification and decarbonization, unlocking a sustainable future while reducing...

Building Security & Technology Series: Webinar 3 - Proptech

This event was originally held on May 22, 2024and is now available for on demand viewing.Duration: 1 Hour eachGold Sponsors: Genetec, ISS, PrometheusSilver Sponsors: Eagle Eye...

Building Security & Technology Series: Webinar 4 - Lessons Learned

Date: May 29, 2024Time: 1:00 PM EDT / 12:00 PM CDT / 10:00 AM PDT / 5:00 PM GMTDuration: 1 Hour eachGold Sponsors: Genetec, ISS, PrometheusSilver Sponsors: Eagle Eye Networks,...