Passive optical network (PON) specialist Tellabs recently launched its FlexAir platform, which integrates enterprise Wi-Fi 6 wireless access points and a cloud-based intelligent controller with the "design flexibility, bandwidth, reliability, security, and operational efficiencies" of passive optical LAN technology, according to the company.
Tellabs notes that with the new platform offering, one common architecture speeds IT operations, while enabling improved network performance and user experiences, with stricter network security across combined networks.
Targeting indoor and outdoor enterprise business Wi-Fi needs while offering the least disruptive path to future wireless generations, Tellabs contends its FlexAir solution offers an optimized platform for challenging wireless enterprise-grade environments.
Importantly, the Tellabs FlexAir wireless applications are synched with the Tellabs FlexSym Optical Network Terminal 202 (FlexSym ONT202), which the company says has been specifically engineered for Wi-Fi 6 AP connectivity.
The FlexSym ONT202 has two (2) multi-rate Ethernet ports, a symmetrical 10 gigabit XGS-PON network link, and a plenum rating for above ceiling mounting, all of which "make Wi-Fi installations simple, efficient and cost-effective when done over a passive optical LAN infrastructure," contends Tellabs.
Platform options, per the company, include the following:
- Indoor 2×2 Wi-Fi 6 AP – This enterprise AP offers concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi 6 indoor access point. It supports 2×2:2 uplink and downlink MU-MIMO between the AP and multiple clients, with up to 1.7Gbps aggregated data rate.
- Indoor 4×4 Wi-Fi 6 AP – This business AP provides concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi 6 indoor access point. It supports 4×4:4 uplink and down link MU-MIMO between the AP and multiple clients, with up to 2.9 Gbps aggregated data rate.
- Outdoor 4×4 Wi-Fi 6 AP – This outdoor enterprise AP delivers concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi 6 outdoor access points. It supports 5G 4×4:4 uplink and downlink MU-MIMO between the AP and multiple clients, with up to 2.9 Gbps aggregated data rate.
- Indoor/Outdoor 4×4 Wi-Fi 5 AP – This AP is a concurrent dual-band 802.11ac Wave 2 indoor/outdoor access point. Featuring dual 4×4 Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO) radios, it supports up to 800 Mbps and 1.73 Gbps data rates for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
- Cloud-Based Controller – The intelligent cloud-based controller simplifies the task of deployment, management and monitoring of a Wi-Fi network at a single building, across a large campus or multiple properties in different locations. It provides scalable management for enterprise customers to grow their wireless coverage after initial deployment.
Rich Schroder, Tellabs president and CEO, commented, “Our customers have known that Tellabs' Optical LAN has unique qualities making it the enterprise network for connecting wireless access points. Those same customers want Tellabs to be their one trusted adviser for this fiber-based wireless network for optimal performance and user experience. That is exactly what we are delivering with Tellabs FlexAir solution.”
The following video from the company explains how the Tellabs FlexAir platform, by combining optical LAN technology with Wi-Fi APs and a cloud-based controller, can deliver more flexible design options, with multi-gigabit Ethernet, multi-wavelengths, and greater simplicity and network reliability.